Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Booth Blemish

I am always so proud of our booth.  It never fails, every show we vend at, we get such nice compliments.  Like,  "You're my favorite booth!" or "Oh my goodness, everything is so bright and beautiful!"  and my favorite...the person who walks up to the booth with her eyes wide open and jaw on the floor...no words necessary.  We work hard to make sure our booth is beautiful and inviting.  It wasn't until recently that I recognized a major blemish among the pretties.  THIS:


Isn't it AWFUL!?


It's a cheap stool, I know, but I can't believe I've allowed it in my booth for so long.  It never occured to me how horrible it was.  So I asked my husband if he thought I could take it apart and at least recover the seat since there is a hole in it now.  He said no.  Hmmm....no?  Oh, he should have known better than that.  I took that as a challenge.  So, after he went to work, I went rummaging through this big red thing he has out in the garage to find the thingy that takes the pointy things out of stuff that holds things together.  You know?  After all, I didn't want to ruin ANOTHER butter knife!  (Okay, I'm being a little sarcastic here.  I know what a screwdriver and screws are but I HAVE taken screws out with a butter knife before...not proud.)



See?  I can do it! 



I tore that awful plastic stuff off and the padding underneath is in great shape!  Now to choose what fabric to use!  I went digging through my stash!  One of my favorite things to do!

Some vintage Amy and some Sandy Hendersen that I've been holding onto for years! 

Now that I'm looking at this, I know WHY he said no.  He didn't think that I couldn't accomplish it...this stool is his perch at shows.  He runs the register and this is his seat....uh-oh. 

Well, I AM NOT covering it in Navy fabric and painting it red, white and blue.  I mean, I'm patriotic and a good military spouse but I draw the line. 

Okay, which is the least girly!??  helllp...

(I think I might be in trouble here.  I may be buying him a new cheap black stool.)

Update to follow...as soon as I figure out how the man feels about perching on a pink, purple, or tangerine seat.  (Man, I hate it when smug turns into "oops".)



6 comments:

beaquilter said...

oh my gosh, my husband and I had two of these stools when we first bought a condo together 14 yrs ago.... LOL I don't think any of those fabrics are manly, NO flowers....and maybe more geometric prints?

Cherie said...

OH dear! Possibly the 4th one in on the top row, the others look a bit too floral to be manly...=D

The Quilting Queen said...

If he can stand among all this beautiful girly fabric, he can surely sit upon a girly print stool. And if his feet hurt as much as mine after a few hours on my feet, it won't matter what color the stool is. Go for it!!! You'll be so glad you did.

Check out the ottoman I recovered with the Lark decorator fabric I bought from you here: http://thequiltingqueenonline.blogspot.com/2012/05/patio-ottoman.html

Anonymous said...

Once he's sitting on it, no-one will know if you've used a girly fabric!

Josie McRazie said...

I think you need to paint it white (that goes with everything right)!! And be sure to use uhpolstry grade fabric or you will end up recoverint it sooner than you want!! Truse me on this one! I had kitchen chairs I recovered and once i used beautiful cotton on them and it did not last NEAR as long as the thicker stuff!! Good luck! Can't wait to see tham finished!!

justacraftymom said...

oh no...that was SO not how I thought this was going to end? I was right with you as you wrote this like "oh, men?!" that would be me and my husband! and then I read why he said no. and then that would AGAIN be me!! I can not wait to hear(read) and see(pictures) how this turned out!!