Wednesday, April 25, 2012

One Last Sample!

We are nearly ready for Brownwood and as we were mocking up our booth layout, I forgot one very small but important thing!  We are using a beautiful antique spindle bed in our booth to display our Lark Quilt and I need a pillow!  Just a simple pillowcase will do! 

If you are an avid sewer like me, I'm sure you've heard of the One Million Pillowcase Challenge!  Here is a link to the info:

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/

This is a very worthwhile and EASY charity challenge that you can be involved in.  They give you fabulous FREE pillowcase instructions and patterns for you to choose from.  Pillowcases are all over the place because of this endeavor by American Patchwork and Quilting.  My Aunt and I have done a ton of pillowcase sewing and we have a fave pattern!  We call it the "Hot Dog" but it is also referred to as the Roll Up or Sausage.  You'll need:

1- 26 1/2" x 41" Main Fabric
1- 10" x 41" Cuff Fabric
1- 2" x 41" Trim Fabric

Here are a few quick videos on how it goes together!
video

Please hang in there with me on the videos.  I am almost always alone in the studio so I'm still trying to figure out the best place for the camera!
video



video
Now that your "Hot Dog" has been pressed, fold your pillowcase WRONG sides together and sew around your raw edges with a scant 1/4" seam.  Take your pillowcase to your ironing board and press your seams.  Turn your pillowcase inside out and press it flat.  Sew a 3/8" seam all the way around the seam you just sewed.  You have now made a French Seam!  All raw edges are enclosed!  You might want to trim any straggly threads before you turn your pillowcase inside out to finish your French Seam, otherwise they'll peek out of your freshly sewn seam! 

Well, I better get back to work packing up for our show!  I can't wait to post pictures of our booth!  If you're in Brownwood, TX this weekend, come visit us!  We'll be at the Coliseum on Saturday and Sunday!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Loving the videos Joy xxx