Monday, April 23, 2012

I'm Strip Tubing!

Strip Tubing is a quilting technique developed by The Cozy Quilt Shop out of El Cajon, California (my hometown!) which uses a special ruler and a jelly roll.  It's quick, it's easy and it's beautiful!  Right up my alley!  We just placed an order for more rulers AND some patterns that use the Strip Tube Ruler!  


I chose to work with the Hello Luscious Jelly Roll by Basic Grey!  It's so beautiful!


Here is a quick tutorial:

First, choose a jelly roll (or 40 2.5" strips) and separate them out into 10 groups of four.  One strip should be a solid or tone-on-tone as your background.  (This is the Daniela Block that I'm making here.  The directions come with the ruler along with directions for half square triangles made from a tube!)


For each set of 4 strips do the following:
Sew your background and a print together for the full length of the strip (44") with a 1/4" seam.  Sew the other two strips together the same way.


Place these two strip units right sides together with seams "nested" and sew the full length, 1/4" seam, down both sides to form a tube. 


Here is your strip set in "tube" formation.  One long 44" tube made from 4 2.5" strips.


Take your Strip Tube Ruler and place the 5 1/2" line over your seam (thread) line.  Cut out the triangle.



Without moving your tube, flip your ruler to the other side and line up your seam line under the 5 1/2" line on your ruler.  Again, cut out this triangle.  Continue this for the length of your tube until you have 8 triangles, 4 from each side.  You have plenty of room to make a fresh cut on each side of your triangle.


Open them up and, voila!  You have your units needed to make up your 10" finished block!


My sample on the left has my tone-on-tone background in the middle and my sample on the right is put together the opposite way.  But both blocks came from the same strip set!  I love how different they look!

Here's a couple short videos showing you the magic as it happens!  We are still playing with the video thing.  Haven't quite got everything figured out yet but you can still see how it all works!


video



video

This is a quick sample I am whipping up for our show in Brownwood, TX this weekend!  If you'll be in town, stop by and I will demo this live and in person for you!  I can't wait to show you the finished product!  This fabric is so...well....LUSCIOUS!

HERE IT IS!

 

16 comments:

Kay Whitt said...

So clever! One of these days, I am going to have to make one of these so called "quilts"!

beaquilter said...

uhh, what a great technique, I do have this ruler!! hmmm, I also saw a sale on jelly rolls online...... not that I NEED another project...

Anonymous said...

This is very cool! I have never seen this done before. thank you for sharing

Rebeckah Austin said...

How awesome!

Cherie said...

Wow that looks really cool! Love the effect of the separate squares =D

SameliasMum said...

Brilliant! Love this technique.

juallen said...

what is the finished size of the quilt? I am not a quilter yet, but this has me tempted.

Carolyn said...

I love this pattern and how easy it is!

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Just the squares you make from a jelly roll (40 strips) will give you a 40" x 50" finished quilt top (20 squares). I added a total of 7" in border all the way around so my finished sample is 54" x 64". But you can play with all sorts of borders! Or get two jelly rolls and have a total of 40 squares to play with. That's why I love this ruler! You can really be your own designer!

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

I've also added sashing to other Strip Tube quilts to give it more dimension and size!

melissa thomson said...

Wow! I think I'm gona have to start quilting again.

jojo said...

genial bravo a bientot

Kelli Fellows said...

What if you dont have a stip tube ruler

Kelli Fellows said...

can you do this without the strip tube ruler?

A Joyful Soul Fabrics said...

Well, I'm sure you could. I don't have the time, nor brain power for that matter, to figure it out. I am NOT a notions kind of girl. I think a lot of the notions out there are unnecessary and repetitive. This is the one notion I am happy I purchased and I use nearly every month for something. It happens to be the ONLY notion I sell in my shop because I love it that much. Best $14.95 I've ever spent! It takes the guess work and math out of it...makes it easy and fast which are both requirements in my sewing!

Elle Hegge said...

This technique and notion of quilting is something I must try out. This is a great tutorial thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to have to try making this quilt and the fabrics you used are darling!